Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Dangerous, Aggravating Road Signs!

The British Daily Mail published an article that reminds me of one of my pet-peeves! (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2285668/Car-crash-Blame-road-signs-Third-drivers-accident-near-miss-baffling-signs.html). They report that in the UK a "Third of drivers have had an accident or a near miss because of baffling signs."  

One of my pet-peeve is street "signs" painted on the road surface. They can be a little hard to see in the rain and/or at night or especially if they are covered by snow where winter happens hard nearly every year!

Have you ever had an accident or near miss because you or someone else was unable to see an arrow or word written on the payment in time or not at all? Geez, I have and apparently a fair number of others have also.

Plus in a time when many local governments lack funds for proper road/signage upkeep, painted-on-the-road messages can grow old and faded beyond effectiveness/sight. And again, with bad winter weather these signs can be even more easily erased by road conditions.

So I want to go on the record! Painted-on-the-road signs are often helpful but I believe there should also always be an additional, very-visible, regular standing sign! I'm especially tired of driving in unfamiliar areas and suddenly finding I am in a turn-only lane from a fading message on the road. I think such signs can also come too late in the traffic process to be able to safely make a lane adjustment.

This may seem like a small issue. However if a third of UK drivers have had a significant problem with signs that may well include some just painted on the roads, how many have a problem in the US and elsewhere?

I also have trouble with many road lines in similar ways. For example, there are regular intersections and complicated intersections. I've seen and experienced problems with both because of road line problems or some sort.

If several lanes are turning left in a several-road-intersection there are often dotted lines helping drivers stay in their lane on through the turn. I really appreciate this! But these line seem to be even harder to see under certain conditions and more subject to fading problems. I often go through a busy intersection where three roads come together. People like me who are familiar with the intersection have little trouble. But too often I've seen confused or "lane-trapped" drivers create potentially dangerous situations because the road-painted-on signage is just not as clear as it could be.

Of course, we must all take extra precautions even if we are just driving unfamiliar roads under the best conditions. But still it's difficult to avoid some potentially dangerous situations when the painted-on signs are not readily visible/readable. I know those who work in traffic management are constantly working to make all roads/intersections safer. So please join me in encouraging them to try to add an additional not painted-on sign whenever possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcomed; nothing you wouldn't want your grandmother to read!